Monday, May 26, 2008

The Freedom To Exercise


It seems like we are constantly bombarded by people wanting to "exercise their freedoms." Right now I'd love to have the FREEDOM to EXERCISE!

I believe the toughest situation for most athletes to deal with is being injured. I speak here from first hand experience. Even for a "weekend warrior" like myself, being laid up with an injury is one of the most mentally challenging situations to deal with. This is simply because there's nothing you can do about it.

My most recent challenge, as shown in the photo, is recent surgery to repair my Achilles tendon. I thought I got off lucky when it first tore because it didn't hurt that bad. I'm in more pain after the surgery than before. But even though I'm an absolute baby when it comes to pain, the inability to do anything that requires use of my feet is driving me up the wall. I'm in a splint this week, then a cast for a couple of weeks, then hopefully rehab. I can't walk, can't drive, and can't even put my pants on without help. It's like a total loss of freedom here.

Now there are thousands of handicapped people in this country who cannot walk, drive, etc....permanently. So yes, I think God let's us experience being handicapped on a temporary basis sometimes, just to remind us how good we have it. But while I would not wish to trade places with a paraplegic, I sometimes think life is a little easier for them than for a healthy person, especially an athlete, who is suddenly handicapped temporarily. The paraplegic, even though they struggle on a daily basis, has at some point made a mental adjustment to their situation. But I'm sure it's one of the toughest adjustments to make in life.

To go from being the starting shortstop to sitting on the bench rooting for your team; from a starter on the basketball team to watching someone else do your job; from being a part of the action to watching the action. This is a tough adjustment. So what can we take from this situation that will help us get through it and to help our team.

1. Remember that you are a part of the team. You can be a "coach" that can not only help encourage the team, but also see things from a different viewpoint to help point out something to your replacement.
2. The fact that you are there, rooting for the team, trying to heal to be with the team, instead of quitting and giving up can be an inspiration to your teammates and an example for them should they be injured.

Injuries are a part of the game. They are a part of life. While some injuries may end an athletic career, they are not the end of life. They might change life as you know it. You may have to make some adjustments...perhaps permanently, but it is your choice to carry on and find your role and your value to YOUR team, wherever that may be.

And don't forget that while you are injured, you can still tune in and listen to Kidz n Sports with Coach Mike on the internet at www.AdrenalineRadio.com every Monday at 3:00 PM. Don't forget to check out the Kidz n Sports web site at www.KidznSports.com.


No comments: